LISC DC is partnering with Day Eight, a nonprofit dedicated to the arts, to bring the DC Poet Project to Anacostia. The DC Poet Project is a Spring 2017 reading series held at the Anacostia Public Library featuring top local poets, and also an open mic series with cash awards.
The DC Poet Project will support the talent of underrepresented poets. At each event, the featured poets will select an open mic reader as the winner. That individual will receive a $100 dollar cash prize and continue on to a final round to compete for a book contract.
At the culminating Reading Series event on Saturday, May 13, the three winning open mic readers will read and compete to receive a cash prize and have their book of poetry published in partnership with the DC Public Library, National Poetry Museum, and Upshur Street Books.
These readings are open for community members of all ages to attend and participate. Check out this flyer and please share within your networks.
Dates and times for the poetry readings are below:
- Poetry Workshop with Abdul Ali – Saturday, March 25, 10am-12pm
- Open Mic #1 with featuring poets Abdul Ali and Gregory Luce – Saturday, March 25, 2-4pm
- Open Mic #2 with featuring poets Ethelbert Miller and Melanie Figg – Saturday April 1, 2-4pm
- Open Mic #3 with featuring poets Joe Ross and Danielle Evennou – Saturday, April 8, 2-4pm
- Final Event featuring the Winners from the 3 Open Mic events – Saturday, May 13, 2-4pm
All events will take place at the Anacostia Public Library located at 1800 Good Hope Road SE.